Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Because they can

I am slowly starting to think that this wedding is going to bankrupt Chris and I. For two people who wanted a simple toes in the sand kind of beach wedding, we are spending a hell of a lot. I was typing up our budget of what we have spent, what we are expecting to spend, etc and it is not looking good. Even with my mom offering to pay half.

And this is what I realized...weddings cost so much because they can. Weddings and funerals are the two things that people do not want to compromise on. They are willing to spend an insane amount of money because society tells us that these days are of utmost importance. It isn't that they are any more important than any other day, it is just that we are told they are. So people spend thousands, hell, hundreds of thousands of dollars on this single party. And at what point did it turn into this?

I'll be honest in that the only reason we are having a wedding is for our families. No offense to them but we would have been just as happy driving down to the JOP in our Sunday best and getting hitched. But I know that part of what makes a wedding special is that it isn't for the bride and groom so much as their friends and family. Again, its like a funeral. Funerals aren't for the dead guy, they are for the people that are left behind.

I mean, think about it. Most brides and grooms are so stuck in this surreal experience, that they don't remember it. They put on a huge party, a huge expense, for the enjoyment of everyone else. And for that reason, I don't mind doing it. After all, I am the girl that used to throw these HUGE birthday parties, invited my whole class, just had fun with it.

So, does anyone want to buy a kidney? Slightly used by still in good condition. Cost: One wedding and honeymoon. :)

No comments: